Thursday, April 17, 2008

Threshold

A big question is what should the threshold be? If it's 1, then this simple circuit (pictured left) will continually pulse. If the threshold is higher, then we only need to add more feed-back neurons to make it pulse. This makes me question wither or not there is any need for a higher threshold. One reason to have a higher threshold is so that a single neuron can't fire another neuron, unless it fires in very rapid succession. This would have a filtering effect only causing the second neuron to fire when there was a lot of activity going on. I think this is a good reason to have higher thresholds. But what should the threshold be? Because this is an evolutionary project, I want to think that this should be an evolved value. This way I hope the network will figure out the best value on it's own. This would also open the possibility for neurons that have different thresholds within the same system. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I figure the evolution will eventually take care of that. So to add to my specs of the Neurons
  • Threshold is evolutionary
  • Voltage is evolutionary
  • Threshold rate is evolutionary
  • If the threshold is met within the threshold rate, the neuron fires the voltage to all of it's listeners.

No comments: